Sunday, April 13, 2008

Welding Intro with Bill Gardner

If you're wondering where I was yesterday, I'll tell you. If you're not wondering you might find this interesting anyway. I met this guy at the Riverside Community Art Association named Bill Gardner who offers welding classes out of his home. These are very basic, one day workshops to introduce you to the tools/equipment, and the technique. (Classmate using plasma cutter pictured below.) The class talks about Oxy/Acetylene welding and cutting, TIG welding, stic welding, MIG welding, and plasma cutting. Bill walked through all the details on how to set everything up safely, discussed the best uses, etc., and we each got to try a few rounds of welding with the apparatus. (My weld in Oxy-Acetylene on steel, below.)

Bill is a retired civil engineer from the city of Riverside, and since retirement has been offering these classes, working on commission projects and creating his own sculptures. The Mission Cross (Bill's landscape ornament with mission cross shown below) is frequently included in his work, and is considered the logo of the City of Riverside.

Attending the class means you also get to partake in this fantastic view (shown below), as Bill lives at the top of a hill overlooking the valley. I have determined that when I buy a house (which will happen soon) that I'll definitely have to pick up a TIG welder if I can help it.



No comments: