Friday, April 18, 2008

Recylced/Eco-friendly Sculpture Project

I have some more pics to share with you. These are photos of some sketches to add into the pile for this sculpture/installation proposal that I'm working on with the Baltimore Medical System. (Check back to earlier posts to see other concepts for this project.) This first drawing is another visual of a lichen-esque design. I imagine it being installed in an atrium or large lobby area with lots of natural light. The pieces could be mounted on the walls. The skeleton would be metal or plastic, and the filler material could be fabric, acrylic, glass, or something else that would be transparent. If you had fabric you could dye them different colors, and when the sun shone through them it would cast those colors (or combinations) all over the lobby.


The hardest thing about this is that it is such an open ended project, and that I have no visual as to what the location looks like. (For teh record, the building doesn't exist yet.) So what I'm going on is that I will either have a flat surface that I can work on. Whether that be a flat wall, floor, ceiling, or possibly a corner of flat surfaces. The other tough thing about this: when I do get to see visuals I think it will change my perspective entirely and I may not have the time to design something better for the space.






So I was looking at pictures of Maryland, most particularly wetlands, thinking that the building and the BMS are geared toward reaching out to those in the Baltimore region, and so the art work in this building should do the same. As I was reading online, there are cypress trees that grow in the wetlands. It's a not-too-common occurence, because the cypress is a sub-tropical tree and even though Maryland can get just as hot as any other southern state in the summer, it tends to get colder in the winter. I love the drama of the roots and how they quickly smooth out in to straight narrow trunks. The wood is basically immume to water rot so when the tree dies, it leaves a stump poking out of the water like a stalagmite. So I came up with this idea (the drawing to the left) for a free standing sculpture. Flaring at both the top and the bottom I'm hoping that it gives the feeling that is has a personality. Well maybe not a personality, but I hope that it feels figurative, even living. I'm am still racking my brain as to the best approach for construction. I will have to make several sculptural models to figure that out.




Another idea, which would probably be a little far fetched for an indoor public space would be the conversion of a lobby floor into something more of an organic rock like landing. For functionality, winding stairs could run through the middle. This idea was inspired by overhead photos of the Chesapeake marshes, where lines of trees, tall grass and other plants/rocks rose out of the water, segmenting it. From a helicopter's height the bay waters are very smooth. So in the photos you see this contrast of a smooth blue gray water and textured green things. It's really beautiful. I'm starting to realize that I'm really attracted to ambiance. Not just objects but entire spaces and how it makes you feel. I have a lot of ideas for creating full environments (not just those shown here). It's always good to realize this stuff, so you can embrace it and use it to the fullest.

No comments: