Wednesday, May 19, 2010

gold banana peel



     So I've started on the gold banana.  When it comes to forming, gold is a lot like brass, including in appearance.  Forming involves annealing, which is when you heat up metal to make it soft (literally you are re-aligning molecules in the metal), and hammering of course, both of which tend to get a little dirty.  The thing about metal is even when its beat up and discolored, it's only skin deep.  When you polish it, the metal will get all shiny and pretty again.  The images are of the gold peel and the silver band.  I am planning on removing the hammer texture from the band, however, I do not want to invest any more time into it until the client tries on the band to make sure the fit is good.  Wide bands tend to hug fingers a little differently, and for me, I will get a larger size if the band is wide so I can wear it comfortably.  Also the band is a little wider than it needs to be.  I plan on trimming it after soldering the banana in place.  You might be wondering where is the banana?  All I see is the peel!  Well, I did not forget.  The peel will probably be adjusted a little more, especially after the client tries on the band.  Once the band is good, then the peel can be perfected, then the banana will be made to fit snug to ensure a good solder joint.

No comments: