Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Notion of Craft -New projects

I have been trying to find ways of balancing my practice in all sense of the word.  Balance between the materials I use, the labor investment (length of time to make, and the physical demands of making), and in how I create work (balance of process).  This is important for me to sustain a studio practice.  But it goes beyond the functions of creating and producing work.  It also offers a balance and adds to the ideas that the work explores.  For example, my attraction to craft and metalwork has a lot to do with the knowledge of how its made, and the skill required to execute certain techniques, and knowing that somebody was willing to invest the time to gain the skill and then apply that skill to create that object.  That object becomes imbued with the maker, which makes the object especially meaningful (or dare I say: Precious).  So what happens when you take that time and effort and apply it to an object of no value?  And to further push the question: what happens when you take that labor, even without the skill, and apply that to an object?  Does labor have meaning without skill?  Does an object have value without such handling?

There is a definite romance of the skilled artisan that people (including myself) linger on when appreciating a fine antique in a museum.  I take it further than most people, imaging the passing of knowledge and skill to that artisan by generations of skilled hands, going all the way back to the beginning, to the discovery of the material and learning of how to manipulate it.  Skilled labor is what developed us as a creature separate from animal ( in the pursuit of beauty).

This is not the forefront of my explorations when creating, but it is absolutely present in my thinking and decisions on choosing materials and how to go about constructing.  I have been setting myself up for long bouts of repetition in making with some recent projects.  They are intense in labor because of how many I will have to make to get the piece substantial enough to make an impact.  They labor is also being applied to objects that would otherwise be discarded: toilet paper rolls.  I plan to fill a wall with them, if not more.  There is a personal quirkiness that I ma trying to exploit, and at the same time, bring it to a level, and place it in the current conversation of assemblage versus construction in sculpture, and craft versus art.  I would also mention that craftiness is linked to domesticity, and the feminine (see my post on the crochet piece) and sculpture is considered big and masculine.  One of the questions I ask with all these issues is can I skirt the line?  Can I pull of a piece that is either gender neutral or gender inclusive, representing both sides of all these coins?  My reason for looking at both sides of things is not because I am indecisive, but because I empathize with both, agree with certain aspects of both.

This all leads into my newest endeavor.  I am working with paper rolls, from toilet paper, and paper towels.  These are items thrown away all the time.  I am cutting into them, reshaping them and then clustering them together.  It is small now, but I plan on taking this to a fairly large scale.


 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Keep on writing and making. So glad to know you have a blog!